150 S 5th St
C.W. Moore Park is a .28-acre special use area located within walking distance of stores, restaurants and businesses in downtown Boise. Mature trees provide shade for this lovely historic park honoring Christopher W. Moore, an early resident who came to Boise in 1852 with his family and a large party of pioneers.
The park features a water wheel from Morris Hills Cemetery and architectural elements saved from buildings that were demolished during urban renewal efforts in the 1970s.
A prominent artifact is a large stone arch preserved from the Bush Building, which once stood on the site of City Hall.
Additional remnants include a turret from the Pierce Building, constructed in 1913, and a stone from the Central School, which was torn down in 1973.
Park amenities include benches, trash cans and bike racks.
The Famous Donor
Christopher W. Moore arrived in Boise in 1863, the year of the city’s founding. On July 4th of that year, Mayor Pinckney Lugenbeel and an Army company had selected a site near Cottonwood Creek for their new military post named Fort Boise. Three days later, the town itself was organized and the street plan laid out.
C.W. Moore (left) was born in Toronto, Canada in 1835 and educated in Wisconsin. He came to Oregon in 1852 with his family and a large party of pioneers. The emigrants brought along 300 head of cattle and horses, which the sixteen year-old Moore helped drive across the plains.
After a few years of raising, buying, selling and shipping livestock, Moore came to Idaho in 1862 and was soon running stores in Ruby City and Silver City. Moore and his partner, B.M. DuRell offered some limited banking services in their general stores and in 1867, established the First National Bank of Idaho, one of the first chartered in the West.
Through his astute management of the bank over the next half century, Moore contributed much to the growth of Idaho’s business and industry. In 1891, he helped form the Boise Artesian Hot and Cold Water Company and heated his own Warm Springs Avenue home with natural hot water – the earliest such use in the United States.
Moore’s sense of civic responsibility was of a high order and he gave generously and inconspicuously to charity for many years. At his death, The Idaho Daily Statesman wrote of him, “If he heard of cases of need, it was his custom to render aid before his assistance was asked.” Among Moore’s many such contributions is this park, deeded to the city in 1916, the year of his death.
C.W. Moore Park has kindly been adopted by Trader Joe's.
The Adopt-A-Park program gives churches, civic organizations, local businesses, and other community groups the opportunity to adopt their neighborhood park. Adopting groups will commit to maintaining their park for a renewable one-year term, helping with things such as eradicating graffiti, picking up litter, filling mutt-mitt dispensers, painting site amenities, raking leaves, and mulching trees and planting beds. In exchange, the Department recognizes the group as the adopting agency via our website and signage at the park.
Interested in adopting a park? Click here to apply and learn more about our Adopt-A-Park program.
Park is open from sunrise to sunset.
RESERVABLE: Private Rentals for formal ceremonies (Maximum 150 capacity)
Friday from 6pm-sunset and Saturday-Sunday from 7am-11am, Noon-4pm, and 5pm-sunset.
You can see if a park is already reserved by visiting our online Park Availability listing!
Here are four easy ways to make a reservation:
- Use our online system
- Complete a reservation request form
- Call (208) 608-7644
- Walk-in: 1104 Royal Blvd, Boise Idaho 83706. Hours are M-F 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Smoking is prohibited in all public parks, including within 20 feet of the Boise Greenbelt, except in designated areas within Ann Morrison and Julia Davis parks and city-owned golf courses.
NOTE: E-cigarettes are not prohibited under the ordinances.
Unauthorized vehicles will be towed at owner's risk and expense. Boise Valley Towing at (208) 389-9707.
A Master Plan is a concept drawing illustrating recreation facilities and landscape features planned for a park site. It does not necessarily represent what amenities are currently in a park.