2602 W Eastover Terrace
This special use area is located
directly in front of the Boise Depot. Dogs are not
allowed at Platt Gardens.
In 2011, the city completed a major repair project to reseal the
A 10-inch gravity fed pipe was installed in October to improve
water circulation. The $7,500 project also created a new waterfall
in the lower pond.
Since the completion of the project, fish and plants have been
reintroduced by the Idaho Water Garden and Koi Society. Large
colorful koi can be seen swimming in the ponds.
Future plans include an historic review of the grounds in
conjunction with a new planting plan for trees and vegetation.
Located on a hillside overlooking Capitol Boulevard and downtown
Boise, Platt Gardens is a scenic location for wedding and
graduation photos. The 7-acre park features ponds, walkways, a
monument made of volcanic rock, benches, trees and flowering
Boise City acquired the Platt Gardens and the Depot through a
donation from Union Pacific Railroad, January 1982.
Platt Gardens was designed by Spanish landscape architect
Ricardo Espino. Built by Union Pacific in 1927, the Depot gardens
feature a winding walk, benches, ponds, a monument of volcanic rock
and a welcoming display of greenery. Visitors would often picnic
while waiting for passengers arriving on the train. The site's
vantage point on the Boise bench provides an impressive view of the
city. The garden was named for Howard V. Platt, who at the time,
was general manager of the original Oregon Short Line Railroad.
The Platt Gardens is a public park and it may not be reserved,
but may be used for drop-in use.
A Master Plan is a
concept drawing illustrating recreation facilities and landscape
features planned for a park site. It does not necessarily
represent what amenities are currently in a park.