3496 N 39TH ST
Owens Park is a 1.05 acre mini park located in the historic
Sycamore Neighborhood, a 101-acre area within the greater Collister
Neighborhood in northwest Boise. This small park provides a quiet
place for neighbors to enjoy, with one or two picnic tables located
within the park.
It is located on the eastern edge of the Sycamore Agricultural
Overlay District, which is designed to protect and encourage
continued agricultural uses in this area as the city becomes more
urbanized. The property has strong ties to Boise's early history.
The Boise City Canal--the same canal that runs under downtown Boise
and is memorialized in the public arts sculpture at 9th and Grove
Streets--was extended in 1866 to this area below the mouth of
Stewart Gulch. The canal runs along the northern boundary of the
park, and is still used to irrigate surrounding properties as well
as for irrigation at the park. This small parcel was also part of
the 80 acres owned by Ebenezeer Pinkham from 1878 until his death
in 1897. Ebenezeer Pinkham and his younger brother Joseph owned and
operated the Pinkham Brothers Boise Basin Stage Line which provided
daily stage service in the mining areas around Idaho City.
Once known as Walnut Grove Park, Owens Park was donated by Paul
and Grace Owens in 1975 to forever be used for park purposes.