1059 W Boise Avenue
The Hopffgarten property is located just west of Broadway Avenue, at its intersection with Boise Avenue. The property was donated to the City by Anna M. and J.H. Hopffgarten in 1916. The Hopffgartens stipulated that the property was to be used "…for the beautification of the said city, and for the purpose of encouraging the establishment of parks therein, as well as to improve the neighborhood in which the grantors reside, and make the same more desirable as a residential district."
During early settlement of Boise City, the South Boise area was isolated from Boise City by the unpredictable behavior of the Boise River. This isolation was alleviated when the Broadway Avenue bridge opened in 1892. A subsequent trolley line from downtown to the Broadway/Boise Avenue intersection brought greater mobility and interaction to residents on both sides of the river. The Village Improvement Society (later the South Side Improvement Club) was formed to create and improve the civic amenities of the area, including sidewalks, trash and weed removal, and public park spaces. As part of these efforts, South Boise was annexed into Boise City in 1913. Business and residential development accelerated with annexation, and a commercial district developed in the area of the Broadway/Boise Avenue intersection. It was during this time of civic energy that the Hopffgarten's donated a parcel of land adjacent to their home for use as a City park.
The Hopffgarten deed further directs that the property "…shall forever be used for park purposes only…" The Department maintains this property as a mini-park with trees, a small plaza, and benches.
Smoking is prohibited in all public parks, including within 20 feet of the Boise Greenbelt, except in designated areas within Ann Morrison and Julia Davis parks and city-owned golf courses.
NOTE: E-cigarettes are not prohibited under the ordinances.
Unauthorized vehicles will be towed at owner's risk and expense. Boise Valley Towing at (208) 389-9707.