Harry W. Morrison
Feb. 23, 1885- July 19, 1971
A native of Illinois, Harry Morrison came to Idaho in 1904 at age 27 to work for Bates and Rogers Construction Company as time keeper at the Minidoka Dam project. Harry attended business college in Dixon, Illinois and began his construction career as a water boy for Bates & Rogers at the age of 16.
In 1906, Harry went to work for the U.S. Reclamation Service as supervisor for the Boise River Diversion Dam Project, where he met Morris Hans Knudsen, a 50 year old Danish immigrant. Both men were seasoned hands at moving dirt with horse teams.
In March 1912, Harry Morrison and Morris Hans Knudsen sealed their partnership and formed the Morrison-Knudsen Company. 1914 marked the year of their first major project, construction of the Three-Mile Falls Dam in Oregon. With Harry as boss, it was completed in less than 5 months and turned the first profit for the young company. That year, Harry also married Ann Daly, who was his constant companion until her death in 1957.
In 1923, M-K was incorporated, Knudsen was made President with Harry Morrison as Vice President. Harry became president in 1939, when Hans Knudsen stepped down. In 1943, Hans Knudsen, M-Ks "Grand Old Man" passed away. Harry would remain president until 1960, when he became Chairman of the board. He was active in other organizations, serving as president of the Southwestern Idaho Water Conservation Project from 1940-50, a trustee of Boise Junior College and a director of the Idaho First National Bank 1932-1968, and chaired the banks reorganization committee in 1932.
Harry was recognized in 1954 when TIME Magazine put him on the cover and credited him as: "The Man who has done more than anyone else to change the face of the earth".
Harry Morrison married Velma Shannon in 1959. He died on July 19, 1971.